Forgiving yourself and others is about being free from the past and is one of the most loving things that you can do for yourself. When you hold onto things from the past, it creates a feeling of being stuck in a certain way of thinking that keeps you from moving forward to create peace within yourself and with others.
Sometimes you or other people may do things or think in ways which may upset someone. Forgiveness is about letting go of the past, because no one can change what has already happened. In order to create something even brighter and better for the present moment and the future, one needs to be able to let the past go. The actions and behaviours of the past, have already happened, and so it’s what you do now that makes a big difference. When you think about what has already happened, it is important to remember that what has been done has been done, and that you separate what a person does, says or thinks, from who they really are.
Forgiveness is what takes place in your own heart and mind. When you are free to let go of anything that has already happened, it doesn’t mean to say that it was okay for that to happen to you or others, but it simply means that you are aware of what had happened and that you are ready to grow from that experience. Forgiving someone and forgiving yourself is the best thing that you can offer yourself, because it gives you the opportunity to become stronger and welcome in exciting new things into your life.
You can change and people can change too. Remember that you aren’t here to change another person, but you can change the way that you present yourself in the world. Have a think about what you can take on board as something that has given you a better understanding of who you are and what you have to offer the world.
Your angels and special friends don’t hold onto any unpleasant experiences or thoughts, and would like to remind you to do the same. Although people can make what they believe to be mistakes, keep in mind that there is no such thing as mistakes, because there is only experience and experiment. Let yourselves be free of the past, knowing that you can create a better today and an even better tomorrow.
Forgiveness Heals Exercise
1. Find a quiet place where you can sit or lie comfortably and close your eyes.
2. As you begin to breathe deeply, you become more relaxed.
3. Place both of your hands on your heart and as you feel the beat of your heart, imagine that there is green and pink light coming out of it.
4. Focus on this green and pink light as it begins to form a rope tied from your heart and it reaches out and touches the heart of another person whom you may need to forgive today.
5. It could be a family member, a friend, classmate or even yourself.
6. Pay attention and notice who the first person that comes to mind is.
7. Think about what it is that you might need to forgive this person for.
8. You may become upset or angry as you think of some of the things that need forgiving and it is natural to become aware of your feelings.
9. The green and pink energy flows between both of your hearts, like this energy is being pumped in both directions.
10. As this energy flows between both of your hearts, you can see yourself and the other person as a small, innocent child.
11. Looking closely at these children, you begin to realise that this child belongs inside of you and the other person.
12. You notice that these children have made some mistakes and are still learning lessons in their everyday life.
13. With this understanding of the innocent child, it is a reminder that no matter what age someone is, they’re still a child who is learning and deserves love.
14. In your mind or out aloud, you say to this person, “I know that you were doing the best you could with what you knew. I forgive myself and I forgive you in this situation. I release the past and I am free and you are free.”
15. You thank both of these children showing you the way today.
16. Imagine that you are both surrounded in a cocoon of green and pink energy.
17. When you are ready to return, wiggle your fingers, your toes, take a nice deep breath and gently open your eyes. Write down your experience in your diary or journal, as the more you forgive others in your life, the more that you can feel good about the ways that you connect with other people.