Priorities are about the things that are most important to you right now. Priorities reflect on the things that you need to look after or take care of before you do anything else. Thinking about priorities, what are your own personal needs? Remember that everything that happens in your life is a reflection of what happens to you on the inside.
Consider your personal needs as ones that you take care of first. This is not to say to be selfish and hide from the needs of others, but when you look after yourself and take good care of yourself, it puts you in an even greater position to look after others. While it is nice to help others, it is also nicer to be able to help yourself first to assist you in doing these wonderful things.
It can be easy to take on board more than you can handle without even realising it. Today, priorities are a reminder about doing what you can, without bending yourself out of shape to please others. Priorities could be described as what you need to do for yourself first.
If you are someone who has a very busy life, then perhaps priorities is about giving yourself the chance to rest and take things slowly once in a while. If you are someone who turns up late for school regularly, maybe a priority would be getting more rest so that you can wake up earlier. Or if you spend a lot of time in front of the computer, maybe a priority would be fresh air and exercise.
There are many different possibilities as to what your priorities in this day and moment, and only you will know. Before answering to the call of someone else’s requests or invitations, think about yourself and what you desire. Think about what you need and what you are really after. Write down your thoughts and feelings, or write down a diary where you are able to list the things that you would like to achieve and take notice of how you actually go about achieving them.
Every day is a new day and a new opportunity to serve the world. As you look after yourself and take good care of the different things in your life, you are better equipped to share your happiness with the world around you. If even in small amounts, these serve to create a world of powerful, peaceful people in every direction.
Honouring Your Priorities
1. Find a place where you can sit quietly with a notebook.
2. Close your eyes and begin to breathe in and out nice and deeply.
3. Imagine a 6 pointed star of pale, yellow light appearing in front of you.
4. This is a star of focus and clarity and it helps you to think thoughtfully and purposefully.
5. Feel the warmth and fuzzy feeling from this light along your legs, feet, arms, hands and forehead as it then travels into your stomach, where it will rest gently.
6. Take a deep breath and gently open your eyes.
7. Open your notebook to a new page and write down a list of all the things that are important to you right now.
8. These could be things that have a special meaning to you, things that need doing, or things that you wish you had more time and energy for.
9. Take your time to write your list and watch as it grows from your place of focus inside of you.
10. Remember that there is no right or wrong when you are doing this. It is about what things you find having special meaning for you in your life.
11. When you have your list, know that you can return to this at any time to add to it.
12. As you look at your list now, choose one of these things to focus on for today.
13. Choose another one to concentrate on for each day of the week.
14. Continue to do this for the rest of the list for as many days as you need to, as this will help you to make time for everything that you value.
15. Close your notebook and continue with your day, remembering to focus on what you have chosen.
16. Write about your daily experiences and as you do this notice how great it feels to be able to give attention to different areas of your life.